21 March 2008

going green-ish

Annika (getting a hug from Bergen) in her very first cloth diaper


The Diaper Stash

In an attempt to go "green" I decided to start cloth diapering - which is pretty funny given the fact that only a couple of weeks (or maybe even days) before I made that decision I told a girlfriend I would "never do that". Why did I change my mind? Not sure. A large part was due to the fact that some friends who were cloth coverts made me. Okay, kidding. But I learned a lot from those friends and they made me feel like I too could help save the earth (if only just a little) by switching. Oh, and another motivator was to save money by not buying any more diapers for the rest of the time Annika will be wearing them. I was told after I got the hang of it I would ditch the disposables and never look back. And for the most part I would say they were right. I love cloth diapering. I feel like I have been exposed to this whole new world and am amazed at what an enormous trend it has become. Lars can attest to the amount of time I have spent learning more online (and buying) all the different types and brands of diapers. Who knew they could be so cute?!

Sadly Annika hasn't been the most, well, regular since the switch due to some nasty stomach bugs (just what you wanted to know, right?) so I have brought out the 'ol disposables a couple of times. But I have to say overall the transition to cloth has been really easy and I am extremely glad we switched. Lars, on the other hand, would still be living on disposable easy street if I hadn't made him change. I appreciate that he supports me and my attempts to make my little piece of the world a better place. I am hoping in time he will grow to love them as much as I do . . . or at least enough to change a #2 (again, just wanted you wanted to know, right?).

And while we are on the subject. . . BERGEN IS POTTY TRAINED!!! I NEVER thought I would be able to share that news. It has taken us a long time, but for the past month or so he has been a rock star at using the potty. So both my kids are now in cloth! It is a great thing to be at Target and not have to hit the diaper aisle!



The other thing I have been having fun with is making Annika's baby food. I am a complete black thumb when it comes to cooking (don't let Lars tell you anything different!) but it isn't too hard to cook up some fruit/veggies, throw them in a food processor, and stick them in the freezer. No need to buy any books. . . just check out this awesome website and it will tell you everything you need to know! Bon appetit!

1 comment:

aunt kate said...

way to go bergen! we are so proud of you! i have to talk to you about cloth diapers...chris and i have been talking about using them since before nora was born (after reading how long dispsables sit in a landfill). i'll give you a call...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hit counter account login page
Get a free hit counter today!