17 March 2011

lucky




Today is St Patricks Day. The kids dressed up. We all wore green. We had fun decorations at dinner and St Patty's Day cookies for dessert. But we, however, are not very Irish. Maybe there is a sliver in the heritage pie, but St. Lucia's Day would definitely win over St Patrick's day in the blad pad.


But even though we aren't very Irish (that never stopped my mom from making corned beef and cabbage every year!) ... it got me thinking about the "luck of the Irish" and there are so many things I feel lucky for ....
  1. For a husband that truly understands the meaning of for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish.
  2. For a kindergarten boy who has a heart of gold. Solid gold.
  3. For a preschool girl who teaches me about patience. Daily. And loves nothing more then a dress and tights.
  4. For a beyond busy toddler who I can't take my eyes off. Not for one second. And while she might turn my hair grey, I could eat her up she is so dang adorable.
  5. For family who has truly shown us what unconditional love is. For all the support they have given to Lars and me ... and all the support they give to the kids. We would seriously be lost without our family. Truly.
  6. For friends. I feel really lucky to have amazing friends. Friends who come over at the drop of a pin. Friends who ask how I am and really care to hear the answer to their question. Friends who offer to take the kids when the going gets rough. Friends who I lunch with. Friends who I am in book club with. Friends that I go on very much needed "girls night out" with. You girls know who you are. I am sooo lucky.
  7. For my house. Yes, I may complain a bit (or a lot at times) that I wish we could move .... and often send house listings to my dear husband who doesn't want to move. But I am lucky to have a house for my kids... our family ... to call home.
  8. For spring. Enough said.
  9. For my gym and how much life that has brought to me. I love that I can go there and see a friendly face every single time.
  10. For skype. It is hard having family that lives so far away. (And we don't have a lot of family that lives far away... so you know who you are!) I love being able to talk face to face. We don't use it nearly enough but, man, technology this 'day and age' is an amazing thing. We are really lucky for that.
  11. For Caribou Coffee. Seriously. I can't believe how much a cup of coffee can bring me peace during the storm. How I love thee white pumpkin mocha, skim milk, decaf ... it is my zen in a cup.
  12. For babysitters. I am a bit neurotic about leaving my kids with anyone but we have been really lucky to find some AMAZING sitters at a nearby college.
  13. For Facebook. I know, kind of a super lame thing to feel lucky about. But a job of a stay-at-home mom can be a really lonely one (which is actually another blog post in and of itself) and Facebook, for good or bad, helps me feel less alone.
  14. For the DVR. I don't know how I lived without it.
  15. For our van. I never ever ever ever ever thought I would ever ever ever ever own a minivan. But I love it. I love the automatic doors. I love the DVD player (that is right. call me a bad mom if you will, but man, that has saved me from some nasty headaches having the ability for the kids to watch movies). I love all the extra space. And the extra seats of being able to drive other kids. I love having a van.
  16. For take-out. I am a horrible cook. I feel lucky that we live by some great restaurants that have awesome food. To go.
  17. And right now, at this exact moment.... for sleeping kids, a full DVR, and a hubby to hang out with.


There you have it. St Patricks Day. March 17th and 17 reasons why I feel lucky. Or maybe I should say blessed. And as we celebrate the most commonly recognized patron of saints of Ireland, I am going to guess he would be okay with me feeling that way today.

Blessed.

xoxo, the blad pad

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Beautiful post Maren!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hit counter account login page
Get a free hit counter today!