18 April 2011

my runner/my self

Well, I completed my second race of the season and it wasn't pretty. It was the first annual Goldy's 5k at the U of M. After completing the 7k and feeling sooo good during and after, I thought I had this one in the bag. And just when you think you have things figured out, life teaches you a few things, right?

This is what I learned: Start at the BACK of the line. Instead I ran with my super-star friend Cara who kicks butt at running ... and we started at the FRONT of the line. I believe our toes were touching the start line. When we started running I tried keeping pace for about .25 of a mile with the people around me before realizing that I was trying to keep up with hard core runners (you know, the ones that start at the front!) that I could not possibly keep pace with. So I took my pace down a notch (or two... or three... ) and then watched 1,500+ people pass me by. Ouch. It was a spirit killer to say the least.

And after starting too strong I was tired. I apparently missed every sign telling me how far I had run (really? Me not read directions/signs? Huh, go figure) so I had no idea how far I had gone ... or more importantly how far I had to go. Another spirit killer when already feeling tired and not sure how much longer I could keep running.

But as you can see I ended up running to the finish with a smile on my face. Or was that because I realized after running into the stadium that I was going to be on the big screen so I had better smile? Yeah, pretty sure it was because of the big screen. But I did finish in 31 minutes which is about what I had hoped to do (clock reads 10 minutes fast which is clocking the 10m run that started 10 minutes before the 5k).

Up next is a 10k at the end of the month. Less then two weeks away. I am really hitting the Hal Higdons half marathon training schedule so I *think* I will be fairly prepared for that one. Plus, my boys will be running!

Bergen will be running his FIRST EVER RACE with Lars the same day! Since I started running Bergen has been begging to run with me. Now that the snow is melted and we can run outside together we got him his own pair of running shoes! We took our first run and he ran (the entire time!) 1.8k. Lars and Bergen will be running a 2k in the same race I will be doing my 10k.

I am really wishing I could run the race with him. However, I will be well into my 6.2 miles before their race even starts. There will be plenty of other races for us to enjoy together (that is if he continues to stay interested in running!). Plus, it will be a great father/son activity.

xoxo, the blad pad

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Maren! I need to lace up & meet you for a run. LOVE families that run together.

Unknown said...

Yeah, the opposite is true then, too. When I start in the back, there's nothing like the feeling of passing people! :) No matter how you feel, though...it's SO GOOD that you're doing it. Keep up the good work!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hit counter account login page
Get a free hit counter today!