20 January 2009

fears do come true


I am sad to report that we are now 2 for 2 on kids with breathing/asthma issues. Annika's nose started running on Saturday afternoon and about 24 hours later the wheezing started. . . just like it always does with Bergen when he gets a cold/virus.

I had posted about my fear on Annika also having reactive airway in my i should have knocked on wood post and how happy I was that she surpassed the time of Bergen's onset, but it seems as if we aren't going to escape unscratched (and I DID knock on wood!).

I was feeling pretty darn good after she had pneumonia with absolutely no wheezing. I was thinking we just might be in the clear. . . but as I was watching her play Sunday afternoon I could see her little chest was working too hard to breathe. And after listening to her wheeze for about 3 seconds, I sent her to Urgent Care with Lars. After a few nebulizer treatments she was feeling much better and her lungs started to open. They did take an x-ray to make sure all the pneumonia had cleared up - which thankfully it had!

So, now we are treating her just as we have treated Mr B so many times before and having been down this road we are much more calm this time around. I have her 18-month appointment next week and will be anxious to talk with her pediatrician about what the next step is. I think I am also going to schedule an appointment with Bergen's asthma doctor. . . might as well get the ball rolling. And yes, this *could* be a one time thing, but as our asthma doctor told us, Lars and I have certain factors that make us high risk for having children with asthma (which my mom brain isn't recalling at the moment). I am fully preparing myself for another long road of breathing issues with our Little Miss. . . and only time will tell what will happen with our Sweet Pea joining our little asthmatic family in April.





No comments:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hit counter account login page
Get a free hit counter today!