04 December 2008

failure to parent

We had Annika's 15 month appointment today and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. Our little peanut has only gained 15-oz. in the past 5 months. . . she weighed in a 20lbs today. In July I went in to see her DR because at the time I wanted to wean her, but she wasn't accepting a substitute. At that appointment we decided she had been growing right on track and that it would be okay for me to completely wean her . . . 2 months later she hadn't gained an ounce and 3 months later she has only gained 15.

She dropped from the 15% in weight to now 5%. Her growth curves are starting to level off and as her DR put it we are at the tipping point. . . should she gain next time we go in. . . GREAT! But should she stay the same or lose weight. . . she will be considered failure to thrive.

Ouch.

The good news is that other then her weight - she is doing great. She is right where she needs to be developmentally. We just need to make sure she starts consuming calories. So what the princess wants, she will get. Cookies for breakfast? Great. Ice cream for lunch? You bet. But if only she would eat it. For lunch today I offered her mac n'cheese, hot dog, corn dog, pancake, yogurt, cheese stick, cookies . . . to which she didn't eat any.

I am trying not to get too hard on myself but I feel I have failed her as a parent. I should have tried harder when I weaned. . . let her eat more fatty foods when she was younger. I feel like I screwed up with Bergen (hardly eats fruits and veggies) and I wanted to do it differently with Annika. But now I am trying to push all this new food on her and she pushes it away. So now I become the expert on all things fatty and am thankful for the time of year as we are surrounded by tons of goodies. Now I just have to make sure *I* don't eat all the goodies too.

*Just to add. . . she measured 32.5" which is 95% in height on the growth curve. She is one string bean!

1 comment:

the buurstra's said...

oh man, that must be tough! i KNOW you are doing a GREAT job parenting...but i also know the feeling of guilt when things are going the way they are supposed to. not your fault. remember that!

she will eat. and what a great diet...don't you wish she was wise enough to understand just what a lovely predicament she is in?! from an adult's perspective, of course, who would LOVE to eat all of that stuff...but cant! :)

sounds like she is going to take after the melhus side?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
hit counter account login page
Get a free hit counter today!